Wednesday, March 11, 2009

All Grown Up

I often refer to myself as a “little kid.” This creeps my boyfriend out to no end. He is almost 28 (his birthday is tomorrow) and I like to remind him that I was eleven when he graduated from high school. It amuses me to no end.

Of course, he likes to remind me that just means “he has more time to train me right.” Whatever.

I think it’s more romantic to say that he’s been waiting for me to grow up.

Anyway, back to the point of this post. I’m almost 20 ½ years old and I still feel like I’m twelve. It’s like I’ve been trapped in a time-warp for the last eight years. Sometimes I look in the mirror and expect to see a pale, skinny preteen with long straggly hair. It freaks me out to see my “adult” self. I just don’t feel like a grown up. Is this normal?

I often do “adult” things. I am proud to say that I pay 100% of my tuition and living expenses all on my own. I filled for taxes this year. I cook my own food and I’m responsible for my own laundry.

My light bulb in my room burned out today. After sitting in the dark for several hours, I gathered the energy to travel to the nearest Wal-mart to purchase the needed bulb. After five minutes of walking the aisles in search for lights bulbs, I dialed my momma’s cell phone. The conversation follows:

“Hi Mom. If you we’re looking for a light bulb in Wal-Mart, where would you go?”

Long pause. “The light bulb aisle… It would probably be around the ‘man section’.” (And yes, there is such a thing as the ‘man section’ of Wal-Mart).

I continue to look until she finally tells me- “Ask someone who works there.”

Ah. That is genius. Why didn’t I just think of that myself?

Because I’m still a little kid.

0 comments: