Wednesday, April 8, 2009

April Fools, Love

I always commit one hundred percent to anything I decide to do. I’m not the kind of person who starts things and then doesn’t finish them. I personally think it’s one of my best qualities and has helped me get where I am today.

Needless to say, when I commit to a prank, I really commit to a prank.

Last week, I work up one morning and couldn’t hear out of my left ear. My ear didn’t hurt, but there was a bunch of pressure inside and it felt like I had gotten a bunch of water inside of it. I was extremely frustrated. The complaining started right away, with me saying everything from “I must have ruptured my eardrum!” to “I bet a bug tunneled in when I was asleep and is now digging into my brain.” Colby, being the amazing boyfriend that he is, listening to my fears, reassuring that it would be okay.

After much drama, including a doctor’s office that scheduled me an appointment only later to explain that they weren’t accepting any new patients, I finally got an appointment to see a doctor three days later. It just happened to be on April Fools Day, causing an evil plan to develop in my head.

Colby and I are in contact all day long. We constantly are exchanging texts or calling each other. It helps us stay close, even when we are over three hundred miles away from each other.

About an hour before my appointment, I started putting my plan in motion. I texted Colby saying, “I think whatever is in my ear is moving around. It’s like something is crawling in there.” He seemed a little confused, but reassured me that it would all be okay.

I then went to the University doctor’s office and waited for my appointment. I consistently texted Colby throughout the time. Here’s what went down:

M: “I finally get to see a doctor.”

C: “Good deal.”

M: “He doesn’t really know what’s going on. He’s going to get his nurse.”

C: “That doesn’t sound good.”

M: “They think something is in there! But they don’t know what.”

C: “Really?”

M: “They want my permission to get it out. What do you think I should say?”

C: “You can’t just leave it in there. How are they going to get it out?”

M: “Tweezers?”

At this point the doctor walked in, I put my phone in my purse, and explained the situation to the doctor. He poked and prodded on my ear, finally deciding that sinus drainage was clogging up something or other in my ear. Fifteen minutes later, he clarified what I should do and I went about my way.

I checked my phone as I exited the office to find these messages: “Are they going to put you under?” and “I’ll be praying for you, baby. I love you.” It was at this point that I started to feel like a bit of a jerk. Colby was really concerned and I had left him hanging with my little joke.

That didn’t mean I had to let him off the hook. “They found a big black bug in my ear! It didn’t hurt though.” I waited several minutes and then called him, continuing on with my hoax for several minutes. He went along with it, amazed that there had actually been a bug in there.

I finally asked him: “What’s today’s date?” After he responded, I said, “Do you think I might be pulling a prank on you?”

After he laughed for several minutes, he reassured me: “You know paybacks are hell right.”

I better watch my back.

0 comments: